FLYING FRONTIERS BUSH pilot ACADEMY
Training by real Bush Pilots on Real Bush Planes!!
EVER WANTED TO FLY LIKE A "REAL" ALASKAN BUSH PILOT?
We have a registered Aircraft Training Organisation (ATO: RAA/008), offering Taildragger training as well as Advanced Bush Flying courses. Based at the Howick Airfield in KZN, we have access to numerous airstrips in the region, as well as many remote and normally inaccessible flying locations. Our Savage Bobber will be used for basic training purposes, however during 2017, at least two Savage Shock Cubs will be added to our training fleet, which will allow us access to flying locations that would be considered impossible for conventional type aircraft (See the Shock Cub page for details on this incredible aircraft).
A basic Taildragger conversion will involve 10 - 15 hours of dual flying instruction and briefings, flying out of Howick, an ideal grass airstrip on which to master the Taildragger. Ian Waghorn, our CFI, has over 700 hours of taildragger time to his name, most of which are on Super Cubs and Savages, both aircraft ideally suited to real Bush Flying.
The Advanced Bush Flying course will include the following aspects:
- Exploring the Flight Envelope of your aircraft
- Extreme Short Field take-offs and landings
- Off-field landing site selection and techniques
- Low flying and judgement of winds and updrafts/downdrafts
- Operating your aircraft below the recognised stall speed
- Landing and taking off over obstacles
- Mountain and Valley Flying, Canyon turns
- Emergency and Survival techniques
- Basic Maintenance
Contact us to arrange your Taildragger conversion, or to book a Bush Flying course and Safari.