Flying Frontiers has recently been appointed a Dealer for EarthX Lithium batteries, which are an ideal replacement for heavier lead acid batteries, particularly in Light Sport Aircraft, Homebuilts, Trikes, ATV's and Motorcycles. These batteries are 80% lighter than traditional lead acid batteries, and can last up to 4 times longer. For full product information, please follow this link: www.earthxmotorsports.com.
The lighter weight is particularly useful when installing heavier automotive conversion engines, or for dual battery systems which would normally be too heavy with lead acid batteries.
EarthX Lithium Battery Technology
EarthX batteries are designed to be a replacement of a standard 12 volt lead-acid battery, so no special or expensive charger is required. Our batteries will work with any vehicle charging system and “modern” lead-acid battery chargers, thanks to our built-in battery management system. And our batteries are an exceptional value given the fact they last years longer than a lead-acid battery.
There is a lot of talk about lithium batteries these days, but not all lithium batteries are equal. There are dozens of different types of chemistry used in lithium batteries. Our batteries use cells made of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) chemistry that was developed in the U.S.A. This chemistry is the highest performance and safest on the market today.
Lithium batteries are fundamentally different than lead-acid batteries. The lithium cells inside the 12V battery need electronics to monitor and balance the voltage/charge of the individual cells. Other companies sell a balancing charger, which you have to plugin periodically to “top off” and balance the cells. Inside every one of our batteries is a microprocessor Battery Management System (BMS) that monitors the charge level of each cell and balances the charge when needed, protecting the cells from overcharge or over-discharge. What this means for you is more starting power, longer battery life, and the safest lithium motorsport battery on the market. All types of lithium batteries (not just ours) require a “BMS” that monitors and balances the cell charge.
The key advantages of our lithium battery over lead acid batteries are;
- Light-weight — 70-80% less weight
- Long Service Life — Up to 4000 charge / discharge cycles (~3-8 years), over 4 times the life of a lead-acid battery
- Longer Storage Life – due to extremely low self-discharge rate, no need for charging in the off-season
- Environmentally Friendly — non-toxic, non-contaminating, lead free and no hazardous materials
- Wide Operating Temperature Range (-30 C–+60C) — lithium batteries are dry cell technology and will not freeze
- Fast Charge — can be fully charged in less than a half hour
- Maintenance Free
- No Special Mounting Direction
- Safety and Reliability — internal cells are continually monitored by an integrated battery management system